The Greensboro Science Center's job shadow program is designed to give selected high school students a sense of what being a zookeeper is really all about, what schooling it requires, what facilities like ours look for in job applicants, and much more. Please click the button below to learn more about our job shadow program.
Our Job Shadow Program is full at this time. Check back in early 2014 for spring semester applications.
We receive many inquiries about career opportunities at zoos and aquariums. The organizations below have some great resources available if you're interested in learning about these careers. They also post job and internship opportunities on a regular basis.
PART-TIME PAYROLL / HR CLERK
The Greensboro Science Center is currently seeking an experienced payroll / HR clerk. This is a part-time position requiring a minimum of 20 hours a week. Work hours are flexible.
• High degree of organizational, planning, and communication skills.
• Strong attention to detail and the ability to multi-task.
• Strong work ethic.
• Strong time management skills.
• Strong problem solving skills.
• Ability to maintain confidential information using discretion and diplomacy.
• Honesty, integrity, and professionalism.
• Self-discipline – ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• Associates degree in Business Administration, Human Resources Management, or the equivalent; or two to three years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and training.
• Competency in Microsoft applications including Word and Excel.
• Prior experience with FlexPay payroll and web clock systems are an asset.
• Process semi-monthly payrolls.
• Input and maintain all payroll data including new hires, changes, and terminations.
• Investigate and resolve employee payroll questions.
• Enforce processes, controls, and procedures.
• Primary contact for employees regarding web clock issues.
• Analyze payroll and compensation on a monthly basis.
• Benefits administration.
• Administer the orientation process for new hires.
• Compile and distribute resumes and applications received for job postings.
• Send out correspondence to applicants of various job posting.
• Identify legal requirements and governmental reporting regulations.
• Assists in the development and implementation of effective guidelines and tools for managers and employees.
• Maintain employee database and personnel files and ensure proper procedures are in place for safeguarding of confidential information.
• Assist as needed with the annual performance evaluation process.
• Support the Director of Finance and Human Resources with all Human Resource administrative related duties.
• Responds to all requests from outside third parties regarding payroll and benefits.
• Responsible for all annual open enrollment periods.
• Communicate changes to employees and arrange meetings accordingly.
• Process changes within deadlines.
• Responds to inquiries regarding policies, procedures, and programs.
• Ensure benefits forms are completed accurately.
• Provide information to third party administrators regarding the Center’s 403(b) and defined benefit plans.
Send an updated resume, three reference contact names/numbers, and a one-page cover letter that clearly articulates your interest and qualifications for this position to: Department of Human Resources – Payroll / HR Clerk, Greensboro Science Center, 4301 Lawndale Drive, Greensboro, NC 27455 (Or, email application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org). No phone calls please.
PART-TIME ADMISSION CLERK
The Greensboro Science Center is searching for part-time admission clerks. Primary duties include: ticket sales, operating a point-of-sale cash register, conveying accurate information to the public, assisting visitors, and maintaining a clean and organized work space. Excellent communication skills, work ethic, and multi-tasking required. Must be willing to work both weekends and weekdays on a rotational schedule. Hours rotate but typically are between 15-20 a week. Send an updated resume and three reference contact names/numbers to: Department of Human Resources – Admissions Clerk, Greensboro Science Center, 4301 Lawndale Drive, Greensboro, NC 27455 (Or, email application materials to email@example.com). Applications will be accepted until December 6, 2013. No phone calls please.
The Greensboro Science Center is an equal opportunity employer.